Friday, October 12, 2012

LA's New Dating Game

About a month ago I went on a Los Angeles first - a Grouper. Several months ago my good friend N found this thing that was happening in NYC and San Francisco and invited me to join. I did, and promptly erased it from my memory...or maybe that was the wine?

Anyway, last month my good friend E called me up and said, "Hey! I got invited to do this Grouper thing. Are you in?" "Oh yeah I totally signed up for that thing ad invited a BUNCH of people to do it!"  Let me explain, Grouper is a dating service that sets groups of 3 girls and 3 guys up on blind dates and it just started in LA. Which pretty much means you get to meet 3 new randos with your wingmen (or wing-bitches as it were). So we went on this Grouper to a wine bar in my West Hollywood hood and it was pretty awesome. So good in fact that we went on another last night!

WHAT A MISTAKE

1. This bar was on the outskirts of the fashion warehouse disctrict downtown...aka the end of the world. I'm convinced that we had to go through a black hole or the time-space continum to find this place. There was one block of civilization surrounded by hoodlums and hobos with knives - and the American Apparel Factory...clearly we were going to die.

2. Two of the guys were on time and cute - a doctor and a guy who works in chocolate finance? yes please. Too bad their friend was a total douchebag. Also, I'm pretty sure he kept going to the bathroom to snort coke (he's a "club promoter" after all). For every good/funny/sweet thing these guys said, their idiot friend would say something about nipples or having one of the girls make out with a hobo. No thanks dude, no thanks.


shit, I'm discovering that I have a lot less to say about this than I did last night after 2 rounds. Whatever. So the first 3 on 3 was pretty cool. The second was not nearly as good...I thought I was done with the coke-head weirdos when I graduated...clearly not.

N, you wanna get in on the next one?

1 comment:

  1. Coincidentally, I was going to text you prior to reading this, "I JUST GOT PAID! Grouper?" I'm so in. Even on a shitty date, we can have fun. In case of emergency, please bring the following:

    1)wine (multiple bottles)
    2)cheese (the good shit)
    3)Indiana Jones Life.

    ReplyDelete